Monday, December 22, 2014

And I Love You Dear. . . ((Monday Music Post))

It sounds rather cliche and generic to say "I love music."  Who doesn't?  I don't know anyone that can claim the opposite.  People don't hate music.  Everyone enjoys it.  But sometimes, I feel as though I enjoy it a little more than most. . . 

I've "loved" music my entire life.  For as long as I can remember, I have felt both connected to and moved by notes, melodies, lyrics and harmonies.   I started piano lessons in kindergarten (unfortunately I don't play very well), joined the school band in the 5th grade (and continued my band nerdy-ness all through high school) and took voice lessons for a couple of years in junior high (unfortunately I don't sing very well).   I wanted to be a rockstar.  I wanted to be a songwriter.  I also wanted to be a music journalist (and actually got a degree for this one that looks fancy on my wall..,).   
I love finding new bands, but my truest music love is devoted to genres from the late 60s and early 70s.  Another thing I absolutely love is a good cover.  I find great joy in hearing a band-especially from another time/genre- put their own twist on an already well-known and established tune.  Good covers just make me smile.

My newest music obsession is the perfect combination of my music loves.  A new collaboration of musicians, singing the lyrics of a classic 60s/70s musician,  If you haven't heard The New Basement Tapes, you must check them out below.    (Also, keep your eyes peeled for Johnny Depp...)


In true "me" fashion, I've been obsessing about this collaboration for a week now- I listen to the album on repeat and am constantly scouring youtube for videos.  I've also got to get my hands on the Showtime documentary. . .

This is a musical collaboration of several fantastic musicians who have put their voices to some of Bob Dylan's lost lyrics- these lyrics were written in the late 60's with the intent of becoming a part of Dylan's famous "Basement Tapes."  These songs didn't make it to the 1975 album, but thank the Lord they've found their place in 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you! Please, share your thoughts!