Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I'm running.

I've been hesitant to write this post, because I have been afraid of jinxing myself - or, as it really should be called, "giving up."  BUT, after completing 6 days of training in just over a week, I'm ready to come completely clean with this:

I am becoming a runner.

I have always been envious of people who run for fun.  I've also always been a little baffled by them. . . but more than anything I've been jealous.   I've always wanted to understand what this high was that runners always speak of- and I certainly have been jealous of the strength and svelte, lean bodies that most runners have (earn).   However, as it is with most things fitness, my want/willpower was not as strong as my desire to just be lazy.

It's been no secret that I've battled with weight over the past two years.  I recently lost about 25 pounds through extreme portion control dieting, and have been watching it slowly creep back onto the scale over the last month or so.  Last Monday, as I was doing laundry and realizing that all of my new "skinny" clothes were starting to get snug, I realized I'd had enough.  I can't keep doing what I've been doing and expect to stay fit.
So, I put on my running shoes, and I went outside.

I had no idea where to start, so I updated the "Couch to 5K" app onto my ipod and just started with day one.  This isn't the first time I've attempted this program- but this is the first time I've really WANTED it.
To keep myself accountable, I text my friend Marianne (who has transformed herself into an AMAZING athlete over the last few years) as soon as my first workout was over.   I was with Marianne when she ran her first 5K years ago (I walked it, obviously) and she is planning to be with me for my first 5K in October.
I've also posted a bit on social media, and the encouragement I've received from my friends is overwhelming- and helping to hold me to this goal.

So, there it is.  I have just completed week 2 of this Couch to 5K program, and each day gets a little easier. I'm also really just enjoying the running.  I run in the mornings, and get to see the sunrise each time.   There is something so calming about being out in the middle of nowhere (aka, my house) and up with the sun before the rest of the world gets going.  I've loaded my iPod full of playlists so I won't hear the same song twice in this 9 week training program, which keeps it fun for me.   I sometimes feel a little silly for being so proud of myself- I mean, I am only through week 2 - but for the first time in a very long time I am doing something just for me. I am working toward a goal and taking the time out of a busy, hectic life to achieve it.  It feels really good.
Even if my knees and shins don't always agree...

If you're a runner, I want to know:  How did you get started?  When did you notice a physical change?   What has running done for you, both physically and mentally?  When did you recognize yourself as a "runner?" What are some of your favorite songs to run to?   I welcome all thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc.  Please share in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you! Please, share your thoughts!