Friday, July 25, 2014

Sorry, not sorry. . .

When I was in college, I read an AMAZING book by Susan Jane Gilman, titled "Kiss My Tiara:  How to Rule the World as a Smartmouth Goddess."   This has remained one of my very favorite reads, as it hilariously takes a look at all of the ridiculousness that women put up with/are expected to succumb to in  society.  While it may be a little outdated now ((it was published in 2001)),  I suggest it as a quick, funny read to any woman who doesn't take life too seriously.

One of the chapters was about how women have a tendency to apologize for everything, TO everything.  It has been programmed into our brains to quickly apologize when someone else is even in the slightest bit inconvenienced by the act of us just being human.   Even when this inconvenience isn't our fault- think about how many times someone bumps into you and you quickly apologize for being in their way. . .   
it was a topic that I had never thought of, because saying "I'm sorry." is the polite thing to do, right?

Turns out, maybe not.  

This ad (for shampoo?) perfectly touches on the "I'm sorry" epidemic women suffer from.  I think it is fantastic, and thought-provoking.
What do you think?  Is this over-apologizing stereotype true?  Do you find over-apologizing as polite, or as a  unconscious sign of inferiority that women need to reevaluate?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you! Please, share your thoughts!