Tuesday, February 11, 2014

No White Flags.

Anyone who knows me- or visits any of my social media sites- knows quickly that I am a big fan of the New Orleans Saints.  I became a fan while following the team in the years after Hurricane Katrina.  I loved the resilience and spirit of New Orleans, and this team seemed to embody all of that strength and pride.   In the years since, being a fan of this team has become so much more than just "who I watch" on Sundays.  Being a Saints fan is a deep part of what makes me, "me."  Some don't get that- many think it's cheesy or overly dramatic- and that's OK.  I know why I scream "Who Dat!"
The reasons are endless, and they are mine.
 
One of those reasons wasn't even a "reason" in the beginning...
 
Steve Gleason will forever be a hero to the Who Dat Nation;  first for the blocked punt in September 2006 against the Falcons, the first game in the Superdome after Katrina. 
More importantly, he will forever be a hero for his fight.

In 2011, Steve Gleason went public with his diagnosis of ALS, also known as "Lou Gehrig's Disease."  His story is one of amazing strength, hope, perseverance, faith and love.  I encourage everyone to read about his story, to donate to his foundation ((Team Gleason)), and to watch documentaries such as this one by NFL Films and the shorter "The Steve Gleason Story."  
 
As if you need another reason to think that Steve Gleason is one of the most amazing men ever, there's this, too:  Steve Gleason is a big fan of Pearl Jam, and has formed a special bond with this epic band.

In my opinion, there is no greater hero, no greater example of strength, and no greater role model than Steve Gleason.   On days like today, when I find myself just wanting to be lazy, I think of Steve.  On days that I want to have a pity-party (for whatever undeserved reason), I think of Steve.  
 If I could do no nothing else in my life, I would be happy to know that I helped share his story, and was a part of his Team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from you! Please, share your thoughts!